Hi,

Actually, not all of the BMWs have to be gas hogs. My son has a BMW 750iL that I drive during the summer sometimes. Even though it has a 12 cylinder engine - two computer controlled in-line 6s, has the "protection package" and weighs a ton, it consistently gets around 20 MPG around town and more on the freeway. It is fun to drive and is very responsive. The problem with this car is that everything is so smooth and controlled, it gets away from you and you don't notice how fast you are going. At real high speeds it gets scary how smooth and controlled the ride is.

He also has a Mercedes S55 AMG. It is a 500 HP, 500 ft/lb, 8 cylinder car.

The 2 cars think and respond differently. The BMW will go fast, but not off of the block. The S55 is like driving a big hammer. You want power, just ask - it's there waiting, and you better hold on. Both cars will go real fast, just have a different profile.

I personally like to drive the BMW better. It just understands the way I drive better. Obviously, neither car is a Formula, but they are fun to drive. He loves to drive both for different reasons. He has a couple of GN (Buick T-Type) that he is working on too. Whole different story on those of course - they are made for off-the-blocks speed for 1/4 mile track. Anyone out there play with GNs too?

The real cost of ownership with the BMW and Mercedes type of cars is repair. Very Expensive for even minor repairs. Even a brake job is expensive (>$1000.00 per axle), because of the special design, and materials used.

Ross