Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Whatever I think about Apple's copying of Android (which come on, they did), I sincerely hope you're not reading on your phone while in the car unless you're at a stoplight or pulled over. If you are, please don't drive in the DC area, we have enough of that already. Thanks.

I only would do this when the iPhone was in a car mount, and I was using it for GPS. I don't actively text while driving, but being able to read incoming messages even at a glance allow me to know if it's time to pull over to respond to something immediately, or keep going. Such is the life of being on call. Thankfully now that the new system isn't modal, I don't have to touch the phone at all to resume viewing my GPS route info.

Sorry, but we're just going to fundamentally disagree on this. I didn't accuse you of texting and driving, I accused you of reading texts while driving, which I still consider dangerous. Reading a text is very different from following GPS directions.

I don't know about iOS, but there are several apps on Android that will read incoming texts to you, some that note when you're in a car dock. I'm sure there are apps like this on iOS. I strongly encourage you to install one.

*edit*
And trust me, I know what "life on call" is like. I'm out on the road all day, but if I get a message that I have to read, I pull the car over.

Edited by Dignan (07/06/2011 11:19)