Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: tonyc
Your Facebook friends are right -- there's some genuine buyer's remorse among the members of Obama's base right now, but the idea that there's an appreciable number of them that would choose McCain/Palin in a do-over is preposterous. Hillary, on the other hand...

This is one thing (of many) that frustrates me about our current political setup. How does a registered Democrat who is unhappy with Obama legitimately voice their unhappiness in 2012 without wasting a vote? The only real choice today seems to be deregistering and switching parties, since Obama will likely be the primary candidate. Looking back a little, Carter faced some opposition during the primaries, with Ted Kennedy getting 34% of the vote. When was the last time the presidential office remained aligned to a specific party, while also seeing the incumbent president defeated in a reelection attempt?

Though I'm coming from the opposite direction, I have the same problem (not a registered Republican, but I've always voted Republican in the past). My solution is just to give up and not waste effort on politics at all. It doesn't seem like there are any options that really represent me nor any recourse to address this situation.

Regarding OP- I don't think he's trolling, really. It's just that people get invested in their ideals and stop listening to the other side, whatever the issue. It isn't about making a good argument or following the logic- it's about "my side is right, your side is wrong". No one ever really concedes any points to the other side any more or gives credence to a different perspective. People feel like they have to buy in hook line and sinker to whoever they support, and they argue that way no matter what good or bad either "side" does. Makes legitimate conversion futile, I think.

Heck, I feel that way- every Republican I know expects me to be Republican and join in their rants against whatever. I feel I have to buy in or get out, so I choose the latter. I suppose I suffer from being too idealistic.