Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: DWallach
It's too bad that Google's own voice recognition feature gets such short shrift in the press. For fun, I just spoke "open the Pod bay doors, Hal" to my phone and it offered to redirect me to the IMDB page with quotes from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not bad, eh?

That appears to be the "I'm Feeling Lucky" result for that Google search. I think what elevates Siri in attention (beyond being tied to Apple and the associated brand hype) is the attempt to go beyond recognition and into conversational interactions with a computer using natural language.

And that's very impressive and it appears to work very well...

...but both platforms will suffer from the problem of people being too embarrassed to use it. I know I only use my voice commands when I'm at home or in the car. They're great to have, but I just can't use them with strangers around...

*edit*
And on the flip side, I'm sure there will be plenty of people using voice commands on their phones and being very obnoxious about it. It'll be a whole new area etiquette, like the people who talk on their phones in public with the speakerphone on smile

Edited by Dignan (13/10/2011 12:46)