Quote:
IMO, some of these moves on Apple's part were not critical to achieving the design goals of the finished product.

That was my whole point about losing the ethernet port. It's true that most people don't regularly use wired networking anymore, but many do, and of those who don't, a lot of them will have to use it at some point in a pinch -- maybe they want to directly connect to their wireless router if the wifi flakes out, maybe they want to transfer a bunch of files faster than 802.11n speeds, maybe they spend a night in a hotel and the wifi signal is shitty... whatever.

It's precisely for those people who have a sporadic need for wired ethernet that this decision is the worst, because though their need for it doesn't cross the "spend $30 for a dongle and carry it around with them" threshold, it's still nonzero. I rather like the idea of using a dock rather than having to plug in my power, display, ethernet, and USB jacks every morning and unplug them every evening, and having to use a dongle when I'm occasionally at a customer site isn't the worst thing in the world. But if I were in the plug in every month or two category, this would be infuriating.