Anyhow, I think I've spent more then $29 worth of effort discussing something that doesn't personally bother me.

Having seen the system in person, I will say the screen is quite amazing. While I've seen the same clarity on the iPhone and iPad, what really impressed me was the scaling. By default the resolution is the standard pixel doubling of the old normal resolution of 1440x900. It however offers options that act like 1680x1050 (the old hi-res option), or 1920x1200. I was expecting the kinda fuzzyness you get on a normal screen when running with a non native resolution, but the image remained pretty clear and sharp at the non optimal settings. Seems Apple is running all resolutions at double width and height, then scaling back down to the display. Running it in the fake 1680x1050 mode all the time would be quite usable.

Anand wrote up a good article covering the screen here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

Now to hope GPUs can somehow make a good enough leap to allow games to run better at higher resolutions. It's still challenging to run games at full quality on the desktop 27/30 inch displays without constantly upgrading the graphics card in a desktop.