Tanstaafl,

As someone who may re-rip a significant portion of my CD collection, I could not agree more with your advice. it is not a huge deal, but, due to my feeling of urgency, I'm now stuck cleaning up CDDB-derived inconsistencies in things like Artist ("Yardbirds" versus 'The Yardbirds", "Richard and Linda" versus "Richard & Linda") in order to have cleaner, more usable playlists".

Yes, gobs of disk space = good. Before the next go-round of ripping, I'm going to seriously increase space on my server (Linux box with a cheap IDE RAID setup) with 3.5 inch disks -- perhaps triple what the Empeg can presently hold. I figure as 2.5 inch prices follow, I'll be able to expand storage on the Empeg and move a greater proportion of my stuff onto the Empeg, including stuff like classical that I haven't even bothered ripping yet due to length/size..

FYI, for anybody using a Grip/DDJ (Digital DJ) setup on Linux, I can say that I was able to correct some of the Artist/Album/Playlist inconsistencies in DDJ's MySQL database by installing and using a DB editor called MyPHPAdmin. It's just a basic DB admin tool and requires some sense of relational DB structure/indexing, but it did the job. Now what I need to do is figure out how to extend the DDJ DB to synch/create an Empeg playlist DB.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.