Originally Posted By: DWallach
I can't offer a good solution to your problem, but I can say that you've explained why I've mysteriously not received some text messages in the past. Maybe the rumored forthcoming Google Babble grand-unified chat system will tackle this.

Yeah, I was hoping the same thing.

And I'm glad my research could benefit another. It took forever to figure out what was happening, because it was my understanding that group SMS messages were pretty normal, and just sent as texts. I guess Apple, in an understandable method to get around the limitations of the technology, turned group texts to MMS so recipients could reply-all.

What I'm unclear about is why there's no way for Google to set up something that at least notifies one of the parties that a message hasn't gone through...

Originally Posted By: K447
Note: When both sender and recipient(s) of a text/multimedia message are using Apple devices and have allowed the feature, the messages are in fact transfered using iMessage and normal mobile data, not the mobile carrier's SMS system.

That's a good point. However, if we make the switch, my wife will be using Google Voice, which takes over the responsibilities of handling texts, so she won't get those messages.

I'm also uncertain if it does this on a group text where one of the recipients is not using an iPhone. I wonder. Perhaps it does iMessage between the people who can use it.

We're leaning towards going forward with the Google Voice port. There's only a handful of people who send her messages, and we can tell those people the situation. It should be fairly simple to adapt...