Originally Posted By: mlord

Okay, I like that one, a LOT!!!!

I, too, think it's the bee's knees.

Question, not answered by their FAQ, that maybe someone on this board (Hugo?) will know: Where is the data coming from, and what is the expected latency? In other words, I see the goal happen on the TV screen, how quickly will the light go off after that? And if it's instantaneous, how do they accomplish that?

I know there will be significant inherent latency in getting the TV picture to me, so the red light might get an off-the-line advantage to help it win the race. This can be proven by trying to watch various so-called "live" feeds of an event on different channels coming through different delivery mechanisms. When you do this, you notice that they will all differ greatly in terms of how quickly the event reaches my eyeballs. So I know that the TV picture doesn't reach my eyeballs at the speed of light. In fact, there's enough latency there that I could envision situations where the light might fire off *before* the TV picture shows me the goal.

But I guess my curiosity is, what is the data path, from the goal judge's button to that red light? The goal judge sees the goal and presses his button. This lights up the goal light in the arena and sets off the horn. From there, there's probably automatic scorekeeping systems that update the score on the scoreboard and such. But what else is that system connected to, and does that automatically go to some sort of data source that is instantaneously web-accessible? And does the Imp simply scrape that web page? If so, at what frequency does it do so? How does that data get distributed to all the people that purchased the red lights without overwhelming the web page? Is there a proxy site involved, and does that proxy have the permission from the source site to scrape their data at a high frequency? I find all of this fascinating and I'd love to know how well it works in practice, and if it really does happen instantaneously like they show in the video.