Originally Posted By: Archeon
Why? I can understand that if you run the stock version of Win8, but if you install Classic Shell, a free program that takes less than a minute to install, you'll have Windows 8 which looks and acts just like Windows 7, but with more features. It'll also boot straight to Desktop. I've been using it for more than a year now, and I can't even remember the last time I saw the Metro interface. Windows 8 does have its merits and benefits. (the Winflag+X key combination comes to mind, but that's just one example...)

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I don't hate Metro as a Start menu replacement. For that purpose, it's not much different than the Vista/7-style Start menu. When you use the start menu, that's your focus. You don't have to deal with the desktop at all unless you want to drag a shortcut to it from the Start menu. It doesn't bother me that the Metro application launcher takes up the full screen. I usually just hit the Windows key, start typing the application I want, hit enter, and then I'm back in Desktop mode.

What I don't like is the separate full-screen app interface. It's cool/necessary on a phone or tablet, but it has no place on a desktop computer. But, you don't have to use those apps if you don't want. You can just use Metro as an application launcher (Start menu) with the added benefit of widgets with weather or news clips sprinkled about. It's really not that bad in my opinion.

Windows 8 is not bad at all even if you don't modify it in any meaningful way. It's usable, has some interesting new features, and does feel a bit more snappy than Windows 7. This could be for any number of reasons, but they toned-down Aero quite a bit. I'm guessing that has something to do with it.