I just installed two Xerox color printers in a small office today. The Phaser 6500N and the WorkCentre 6605DN.

I was quite impressed.

The print quality from these printers was phenomenal. The download site for the printers was pretty much limited to PCL and PS drivers and not much more.

The only annoyance was that the 6605DN has a built in scanner, but as far as I could tell Xerox doesn't provide anything in the way of scanning software. It seems like all they give you is TWAIN interface to act as a middleman between scanning software you might have on your computer and the network hardware. In the end, I had to tell the client that they either needed to purchase scanning software (like Vuescan) or only scan from the unit its self. In the end, I'd rather scan from the scanner anyway because it limits your back and forth.

Even setting up network scanning from the printer was a little annoying. As I said, there's no scanning software so there's nothing to signal to printer what the available destinations are. Epson AIO printers, for example, install utilities that signal to a network scanner that they're ready to accept scans. The downside is that they don't always work.

The 6605DN requires scanning to samba shares on Windows machines (not sure about Mac but there were instructions). The computers on this network didn't have static IPs, but fortunately I could identify them by hostname.

In the end I came away very impressed with the Xerox brand. The quality was fantastic. However, I did see some page curl on the printouts that I made. Nothing that bothered me, though.