I want a camera

See, didn't we tell you that you'd need an SLR eventually. wink

Quote:
I can take kayaking.

Oh... never mind, then.

Quote:

Requirements:
1) Must have a viewfinder.
2) Must be water-resistant. This does not mean waterproof, I am not going diving with this camera. But if it gets splashed on, or even briefly submerged, I want it to keep working.
3) Must have a minimum of 6x optical zoom, with 2x or 4x digital zoom.
4) Must be priced less than $250

This camera will not be gently treated, it is going to get banged around and wet. It doesn't need to be some tiny digital marvel that fits in a shirt pocket, form factor doesn't matter.

Is there anything out there that even comes close?

No. You are going to have to bend on one (or probably more) of your requirements.

Now-a-days, digital point-n-shoot cameras generally do away with the viewfinder, relying instead on the rear LCD. Certainly, none of the waterproof cameras have a viewfinder. If you insist on a viewfinder (and I know those LCD screens can be hard to see in bright light), then you're relegated to something else + a waterproof case. And those are usually spendy (unless you're looking at one of the clear vinyl bags, which kinda suck for utility).

Any manufacturer that makes something "water-resistant" has generally gone the whole hog, and just made the camera waterproof. Personally, given your usage scenario, you don't want water-resistant, anyway -- when I hear that, I think "can handle a bit of rain." Typically I've seen this marketed as "weather resistant" or something like that. But once you start talking "briefly submerged," you need waterproof, if you want something guaranteed to keep working.

Because of their form-factor, most of the available waterproof cameras top out at 4-5x optical zoom, with the exception being the Speedo camera, which has 8x optical zoom. The all also have 4-5x digital zoom. Except, of course, the Speedo, which has none. (But dang it, Doug, when are we going to convince you that in-camera digital zoom is terrible, and you're better off doing the crop/scale on your PC at home?).

I'd go with one of the Canon, Nikon, or Olympus waterproof cameras. I like the menus on the Nikon and Olympus, but I like the ability to use CHDK on the Canon. Any of them would be a fine camera at your price-point.