Originally Posted By: Archeon
A roof of 30 to 35 degrees is ideal for solar panels. I can't tell exactly from your photo, but it doesn't look that far off.

Well, for ideal solar gain, our panels would want to be 45 degrees, matching our latitude (45N). Except we get less light in the winter, as well as some snow cover, and more light in the summer, so a different angle might be better. Tough call though.

I did find a rather detailed online efficiency calculator that takes in many variables (including snow cover) and spits out the resulting value of different combinations. A steeper angle helped slightly, but not as much as I thought it might. The biggest gain there is simply from shedding snow more easily than a lower angle.

Quote:
Also, do you already know which panels and inverter you will use?

I do know, but don't remember which. There is a limited selection of them in this area, due to few (two!) suppliers, and local electrical approval requirements. But it is a single, large inverter (to be located inside our garage), and quite high on the efficiency scale. More about it when I find the documentation later.

The best deal with Solar electric power in Ontario, Canada, is something known as the "Microfit Program", whereby one can install up to 10KW of generation capability. The local utility signs a contract guaranteeing to purchse that power from us at a fixed/inflated price (per KW/hour) for the next 20 years, with the income fully tax deductible up to the cost of the system. There are several requirements to qualify, including the type of inverter and method of interconnection to the grid.

Great overview of the options, by the way!

Edited by mlord (31/12/2014 12:00)