If I play a the last song of the album, does the playlist go to the next album/artist, or does it go back to track 1 of the album?

If you hit Play on the Album, then it goes back to track 1 of the album. If you select and play just the song, then it only plays that song.

It only plays exactly what you selected. If you select a playlist, it only plays that playlist and its children. If you select a song, it only plays that song. If you wanted it to go to the next album, then you need to start your playback somewhere higher up in the tree-- for instance, hit play on the artist instead of the abum. Then your playlist becomes the artist's entire catalog as one big playlist.

If I press "rewind", does it start at the beginning of the song, or does it go to the previous song?

First of all, let's get our semantics straight. There are two separate controls for "rewind" and "previous track". Rewind simply rewinds the music, like the rewind control on a cassette tape player. Based on the context of your question, I'm going to assume you're referring to the "previous track" control, not the rewind control.

The "previous track" control works like a consumer CD player. If you press it within the first 5 seconds of a song, it will go to the prior song. If you press it after the first 5 seconds of a song, it will restart the same song.

If I am at track 1, does it go to the last track?

If you are on the first track of a playlist, it will go to the last track of the playlist. It depends on what's in the playlist, though. If you chose to play an album, then it would go to the last track of the album. If you chose to play an entire artist, it would go to the last track of the artist. If you chost to play an entire genre, it would go to the last track of the genre.

If I press "forward" and I am on the last track of the album, does it skip to the first track?

Same thing applies as with the "previous track" button. It will wrap around to the beginning of the current playlist.

Basically, I want to set up the empeg as a big CD changer. I would like it to repeat the album unless I tell it to go to a new album.

Yes, you can do this, but you have to specifically choose that album if you want it to behave this way.

The best part is, the empeg can be much more free-form than that. You don't need to be merely limited to making it act like a CD changer. Sure, it'll do that, but after you've owned it for a while, you'll realize how flexible the playlists are and start to come up with new ways of listening to your music.

I have my trees set up as artist/album, just like you describe, but I hardly ever access it that way. Most of the time, I'm shuffling the whole player, or shuffling custom playlists I've created. If I'm shuffling the whole player, and a certain song hits where I want to hear the rest of the album, I simply turn off shuffle, and it'll un-shuffle "around" that song allowing me to navigate the album using the prev/next keys.