Hello,

As my name indicates, I'm a (almost) new owner. I have a 30gig Blue on order and I'm impatiently waiting on it's arrival.

I wanted to try a wireless network configuration and I spent last weekend setting some of that up. I have an Orinoco GR-1000 setup as a DHCP server offering up IP's to two PC's on the 10BaseT side and one laptop on the 802.11b side. All this works fine with one exception. My Orinoco EC (Ethernet Converter) that accepts a 10BaseT and PC Card to serve wired devices on 802.11b (like the Rio Car) is not ready to go yet (more later).

I want to thank those of you who posted your experiences and problems on this board. I will be posting some specific questions in the weeks ahead (once I receive my player).

By way of contribution to the board, here are the steps I went trough last week to get my wireless network up:

Prior to Friday:
1. Ordered RG-1000 Kit (gateway and one silver card), an Orinoco (WaveLAN) EC device, and an extra silver card for the EC (from CDW).

2. Downloaded the latest drivers for the cards, firmware for the RG-1000 and the EC.

3. I already had a 10BaseT LAN at home serving the HO upstairs and an Audiorequest downstairs. As I live in the country, internet access in modem only.

Friday:
4. Open the boxes. I had a problem after first installing the RG setup software - my ME laptop locked up explorer upon boot. After about an hour I isolated it to MS .Net studio beta One. I de-installed .Net and all was well.

5. I updated the firmware on the RG, the PC cards (one was current, one was dated), and the EC.

6. I configured the RG to Bridge, DHCP serve, named and security keyed my network.

7. About 3 hours later I was surfing from my sofa on the laptop via the Gateway.

8. I have not yet gotten the EC to work. I need more time to play with this.

I have no idea exactly how this is all going to work with my Rio but I hope to have it all tested before hand. I hope that Sonic/DR will ship my unit someday (waiting since last Wed) so I can find out.

Thanks to everyone,
Will "Greenbean"