Also recommending Handbrake. However out of the box, it only reads from media sources without DRM.

You will need to perform a few extra steps to enable conversion of copy protected discs. Specific up to date instructions for both Windows and OS X platforms is here:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-rip-a-dvd-to-your-computer-5809765

Currently running through this process for my entire DVD collection, including all the TV shows from the start of my cord cutting days. Hoping to complete that process in a few months. I'm batching it up a bit where I'll image the discs onto my NAS. Then from there let Handbrake chew through the DVD images overnight.

Long term goal is to have all my media sitting in Plex. With 100mbit upload at home, I can stream to any place I'm visiting with decent connectivity. Or if I know connectivity is going to be an issue, I can have Plex pull the media locally. All without rummaging through file folders, instead seeing my collection with full cover art and descriptions. Makes it easier to grab a few episodes from an old TV show for an upcoming flight.