Originally Posted By: drakino
Looks like an average DVD movie is ending up between 1-2GB. I'm usually using the AppleTV 2 presets for them in Handbrake. The extended release of the first Lord of the Rings movie on DVD turned into 3.2GB.

Those sizes would be fine with me! I'll have to give it another shot.

Quote:
Preserving 5.1 audio or other parts of the movie on disc hasn't been a focus of this conversion. Most everything I've transcoded has wound up with stereo audio only.

Have you compared results of the same conversion just with stereo in one file and 5.1 in the other? I'd have to imagine that the file sizes wouldn't be too dissimilar, and if I were you I'd rather just rip once. Wouldn't it just me a matter of a couple hundred MBs?

Quote:
One reason I resisted Plex for so long was their lack of supporting full disc images, which is how I was handling my DVD movies. My last home theater setup had a Mac Mini running the older Front Row, and it would play the disc images as if the physical DVD was in the system. Thus preserving the 5.1 sound that I had the setup for at the time.

Yeah, that was an annoyance with Plex for me too. In the end, I think I'm going to have to decide whether I actually care about the special features on these discs. I haven't watched one in years. I think the last time I watched a commentary track was 2011.

Quote:
Overall my goal with this is to ensure media I have paid for in the past is still playable nearly as easily as Netflix. Their rotating library results in some shows/movies I like disappearing from streaming at times.

Agreed. This was a motivating factor for me too. Netflix already has a terrible movie selection, but you can't even expect the good stuff to stay there.