Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Supermicro PWS-203-1H Power Supply 200W 80-plus Gold rated. This was a mistake. I was looking at 1U power supplies that had a maximum length to fit in the case, and that weren't overkill. This seemed like it was the best option, based on power requirements. But I didn't check all of the dimensions of the PS or the chassis -- I (foolishly) made the assumption that a 1U power supply has a standard form factor in terms of width and height. Well, this one is designed to fit into a SuperMicro chassis, and it does not mount in the above case -- it's much too small, being almost (but not quite) Flex ATX. And no-one makes a mounting bracket, either. But rather than admit defeat, send it back, and find a different one, I opted to make my own mounting bracket from some 20ga sheet aluminum I had in the garage. That took a good two weeks of measuring (bought some new digital calipers, so win-win, right?), CAD (in OnShape.com), and metal work, but I was still waiting for parts to arrive, so whatever. I learned new stuff, and had fun. I made some mistakes, too -- Perfect-me wants to re-make the bracket, but since the worst mistakes are hidden on the inside of the case, Practical-me wins out, and I've moved on.

Heh. smile

I'm sure quite a few of us have done similar things. I can think of lots of instances where I built an adapter for something myself instead of just buying the right part in the first place. Heck, the fact that you're rolling your own NAS is yet another example of the same thing.

Quote:
4 x 4TB WD Red HDD I'm not sure how satisfied I am with these, yet -- I discovered after purchase that some Red models still have the head-parking issue that the WD Greens did, so now I have to do the legwork to make sure that they're set correctly. I'm sort of wishing I'd gone with Seagate, now.

Have you seen that there are WD red 6tb models now? I'm trying a pair in my Synology right now. So far so good.