Quite a few people over the months have asked about using their Empeg as an alarm, but I don't recall seeing anything posted that does this. Well, just for the practise (my Empeg being my first real contact with Linux!), I've written a script to do just that. It's a little kludgy, but it works.

It uses Rex Perkin's "Picker" program to allow you to set the alarm time, and the "date" command (which I extracted from the Debian ARM distro) to get the current time.

I've attached a zip file containing all the files needed and a ReadMe with instructions.

Since I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm just happy that I have something that works - if you have a better solution, or realise that I've done something very stupid, please let me know!

I'm away on business for the next couple of days, so I probably won't be able to respond to any comments until Monday - just so no one thinks I'm ignoring them! And I'd like to add a "thank you" to those who've written stuff before, giving me the confidence (and the beginnings of knowledge) to have a go at this, including but not limited to Tony, Rex, Frank, Borislav, and so on...

Cheers,
Bryan.

Mark 2 #080000515
Was 12GB Blue, now 42GB Green!

Attachments
35758-alarmclock.zip (29 downloads)