Yeah, we watched the results coming live, and were just aghast.

I'm seeing a lot of quotes today from people who say they voted Leave because they wanted to make some kind of a point or protest while still fully expecting that "Leave" wouldn't win, and that they now regret having voted that way. Those might have been cherry-picked by the news media, but I'm wondering if it's true at any level. Because come November in the US, we could be faced with a similar voting subgroup. Scary.

The most painful thing was seeing that, merely an hour after the voting concluded, one of the primary things that the "Leave" campaign was based around was admitted to be a lie. Interesting: In the US, our politicians would have doubled down on the lie but then quietly failed to deliver later.

And of course there's the point that the UK just now lost more money in the financial markets than they ever gave to the EU in the first place.

Something I haven't seen in news articles yet but I'm sure it must be in there... Another thing that the "Leave" campaign was based on was excessive EU regulations. The John Oliver segment mentioned rules related to a pillow and made fun of the ad. But even if UK leaves the EU, as I understand it, they still have to abide by those rules to be able to trade goods and services with the EU. The only difference now is that they won't have a vote in how the rules are made any more. Brilliant.

Am I reading this right? The "Leave" campaign made a bunch of promises about how leaving was going to do all these good things, and it's now immediately clear that none of them will come to fruition. The only thing left is the thing they called "Identity" which sounds like dog whistle for "bigotry". Sounds to me like they preyed upon the xenophobia and bigotry of certain segments of the population to push forward that particular agenda. UK folks, am I reading that right? Because if that's true, it doesn't bode well for us in November, since it's the same thing.

This is a perfect example of how fearmongering can gain the vote. Now I see new meaning in the classic FDR quote.

UK friends, I get the feeling that most of you on this BBS would have voted "Remain", but regardless of how you voted, I am thinking about you, and I am concerned for you, and I hope that things settle out to be a lot less dire than they look right now. You're strong and I know you can get through this.

Cross your fingers for us in November.