Originally Posted By: K447
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: K447
LED bulbs can be covered with a coating or fabric that absorbs some of the light output.

That would dim all light levels, though, so I couldn't get the bulb as bright as I might want.

I think I'll go incandescent until I don't need the light at all.
You could use some other lamp for 'bright' and the cloaked lamp for 'very dim'.

Nah, that's not what I'm about. The whole reason I got into home automation is because I really love to have even lighting throughout a room. So I spread the light sources to logical and appealing spots, then set them all to the optimum dim levels for whatever scene I'm creating. My least favorite way to light a room is to have a single lamp in one corner that's turned bright enough to do something in the opposite corner, as that lamp will be too bright at its source.

So that would mean that to accomplish your suggestion I would have to have two lamps in the same spot. I guess I could also have a lamp with two ZWave bulbs in it, one of them "cloaked." But then I wouldn't be able to use the super cute monkey lamp that we currently use as his night light smile

I think I'll stick with the 40W. It's not going to suck too much juice. Not at these levels.