An update:

I went out and bought two brands of BR30 bulbs. I picked up a 6-pack of Ecosmart (Home Depot brand, I believe) for $30 and a 3-pack of Philips for [I believe] $21.

The important thing about the Philips bulbs is that they're advertised as having a "warm glow effect." It's just saying that it mimics the effect of a dimmed incandescent bulb. That sounded like what I was looking for.

Long story short, I hated the Ecosmart (the color was just not great), and I loved the Philips. The warm dim was subtler than I expected, and just what I was looking for. I still feel silly about it, but it's what I'm used to and my wife preferred it to, so that's what I'm going with.

The only problem was the price. At $21 or more for 3 bulbs, it was going to be an absolute fortune to replace all my BR30's (I have a ton of them in my house - around 35 at last count). Fortunately, Amazon came to the rescue once more. There's a seller offering 24 bulbs for $135, coming out to about $5.63 per bulb, which is pretty good. My favorite thing about it is that it's clearly a box that's intended for a Home Depot show room, because it ships as a display case, including the standup to advertise the bulbs, with pretty clear HD styling.

At that price, I'm actually considering buying a second pack to fill in the remainder of the cans, then having some on hand for future recessed installs, or I could sell the rest at my upcoming yard sale and come out way ahead of buying the 3-packs.