Thanks for your input. Actually, maybe I wasn't clear, but if I decide to put a head unit in the trunk, it would be the factory unit, not the empeg. So far, I think that is what pretty much every Impala owner has had to do to retain the extra functionality. It isn't that the factory CD/cassette/radio is all that advanced, but I'd like to keep it, and I don't know what usefulness my steering wheel controls will be without it. It may look cheap in the attachment but it does have RDS, not that any stations around here use it, but....
Actually the existing setup isn't that bad as far as factory goes and there is an external amp in the trunk. I've been satisfied with the sound quality so far. It was nice to listen to the radio again for a couple months anyway, since I was alienated from the radio waves in my old vehicle with only the empeg. Yes, I know that should change very soon.

I may consider installing the empeg below the glove box. Look at what one lady did to her Impala. No, she doesn't have an empeg yet, but she certainly needs one. http://members.cardomain.com/chevyimpala2000

Anyway, if you look at the bottom picture, you see that the factory head unit was relocated. That is what I would do if I abandon the idea of leaving it as it is. Thanks,

Duane