Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: sein
Originally Posted By: Dignan
there is absolutely no migration path from a 100% ZWave-based system to a Homekit system. Homekit doesn't talk to any of the ZWave controllers because they don't have the authentication chip in them

Are you sure? I have a couple of Z-Wave Modules to switch the lights in my garden via a Raspberry Pi running OpenHAB. There is a HomeKit Addon which I think will expose the system to your iOS devices if you set it up correctly. I haven't personally played with it but it sounds promising.

Hmmm...I might have to look into that. I hadn't considered it before because I'm not fond of their app design. But I'm not going to use the app so that might be a good way to go.

Looking at their guides, I see there's a way to put it on Synology, though I have to load Java. What I can't see in their instructions for any platform is what the system uses to actually communicate with the ZWave devices. I have the Aeon Labs stick, which seems to be used by a lot of these kinds of systems...

There's a docker image on the hub, I prefer running stuff like this in docker containers because it's easy to back up, update etc.

Edited by sn00p (16/09/2017 16:51)