Originally Posted By: tfabris

That chart needs a 3rd axis -- aggravation.

About a month ago, I spent a week writing a TamperMonkey script to inject SVN commit summary info into JIRA bug-tracking pages. This is a 5s/weekly (or less) task. It only takes a couple seconds to look up that info, but every time I needed that info, and had to look it up, I could feel my stress levels rising because dammit, I shouldn't have to be doing this; the info should just be there already, and it's clear that whoever designed the workflow that I have to follow has never actually used this workflow. Gah... surrounded by idiots!

So now, I have the aggravation of dealing with my buggy TamperMonkey script (sometimes I end up with the SVN commit summary listed twice), but the amount of aggravation caused by that is low enough that it's not worth my time fixing the bugs. And since they're my bugs, I know that I don't have to deal with idiots if the aggravation does kick up a notch; again, keeping my stress levels lower. There's some benefit to being being the idiot, here. smile

Overall, I'm much happier, because even though I spent far more time on such a minor efficiency improvement than I will ever gain in return, my frustration and stress has decreased. And that was well worth the extra few thousand minutes.