I ran into issues with both the instructions at the link I provided above (demon related), and the standalone connector instructions (Go build related).

Googling around brought me to this page on cloudprint-service, which resolved my demon issue. So I did a fresh install of Stretch Lite, CUPS, and grabbed the pxlmono PPD file for my printer.

Agh! I spoke too soon. The service is not restarting after a rreboot. Manually running "sudo systemctl start cloudprintd.service" gets it running. "systemctl status cloudprintd.service" returns:
Code:
● cloudprintd.service - Google Cloud Print proxy service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cloudprintd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-02-11 16:24:29 UTC; 3min 36s ago
  Process: 330 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cloudprintd -a /var/lib/cloudprintd/authfile.json (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 330 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cloudprintd.service

Feb 11 16:24:29 cloudprinter systemd[1]: cloudprintd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I'll debug later, for now I need to go play Pete the Cat.

edit Not sure what is happening, but it take about 5 minutes after a reboot for the cloudprint-service to successfully start. I'm declaring victory for now. We'll see how SWMBO and the kids react.

Edited by Phoenix42 (11/02/2018 18:45)