This morning I have updated the builder_bigdisk_v21.upgrade image to include a copy of the empeg-remote app for Android as a clickable item in the root directory of the empeg's filesystem. Other than making the builder image larger, this shouldn't affect anyone and you can just ignore it if you like.

Or.. you could then surf to the empeg's IP address from a web browser on your Android device, and click on the empeg-remote-android.apk file to download/install it on your device. This will require enabling "Unknown Sources" briefly on Android (most will prompt you for this). The .apk binary is the exact debug image found in the git repo for the app. I have not rebuilt/modified it in any way.

If you are unfamiliar with the app.. well, let's just say you have been missing out on some really cool tech! It provides something akin to the WebLite interface, except directly from a full screen Android app, and is very slick indeed.

Downside? It does require network access to the empeg. So, at home, normally no issue, but most people don't have their empeg connected to a wifi router when in the car. Mmmm.. yet another project!

Along with the updated builder image, I am now also providing a more basic car2_v21.upgrade image, which can be used to install all of the fancy add-ons found in the v21 builder image without having to reformat your empeg. This installs just like any other software upgrade, and leaves your tracks/playlists intact. Otherwise it has all of the extras from the builder_bigdisk_v21 setup, including WebLite, the Android app, hdparm, rsync, vi, smartctl, ...

Both images can be found in the usual place, either by clicking on the BigDisk Builder link up top here, or by going directly to http://rtr.ca/bigdisk/