Related/not related: Back in 2013, I bought two LaCie 5-disk JBOD contraptions. Now, six years later, one of them is performing flawlessly and the other had a regular issue where a disk would disconnect. Also, the power supply went out.

I replace the power supply with a dodgy no-name equivalent from a Chinese manufacturer selling on Amazon. It worked. I also replaced 3x 2TB disks with 2x 3TB disks. These were running a stripe with my Time Machine backups, so no big deal. Rebuild them and we're good to go.

Fast forward a month, with me out of town, and this morning I saw that one of the disks was reported as failed. Uggh. This has me suspecting that there's something wrong with the enclosure itself.

I'd been hoping to delay all of this until I purchased a new machine, but maybe it's time to do that now before I have a catastrophe.

FWIW, the likely new machine specs will be a Mac Mini (maxed out) with some sort of 2-disk Thunderbolt 3 enclosure: one for my "bulk" storage and one for Time Machine. Among other things, I'd been hoping that somebody would release an enclosure that matches the footprint of the Mac Mini, as they did in the old days. Right now, the closest I can seem to get, in terms of desired specs is this: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/AKiTiO/3RSAA0006Y/