Actually... it is still "in progress".

I installed some 5 1/4" speakers in the rear doors. Try as I might, I couldn't get them to fit with a spacer/adapter, so I ended up dremeling part of the sheet metal away to make room. After that, I had to drill new holes. The speakers I chose (Infinity) have "aimable" tweeters that stick out really far, so it only added to my problem. I also cut away some plastic in the speaker grill to allow for more room "just in case" ;) .

The fronts were a little easier, or so it seemed. I was able to make 3/4" adapters for the 6 1/2" Infinity woofer and hot glued the tweeters right to the old tweeter position. I don't have model numbers, but it is the Infiniy (both are non-Kappa) components with the 6 1/2" woofer. Thanks to someone on the i-club.com, I knew the crossover would install in the door near the latch.

Running the wires, I ran the power down one side of the center counsol and the RCA's down the other. I did this on the sworn word of a friend that I wouldn't get alternator whine. Speaker wires were run along the door trim. Everything just pops in and out of place, so it was fairly easy. The only major component I had to remove was rear seat in order to run wires to the trunk and ground the amp.

Using Jim's awesome advice, I dremeled the dash bezel with no problems. I was rather impressed with myself here! :) Unfortunatley, I was not able to use the "pocket" I had rush delivered from Subaru because there is simply no room for both it and the empeg. It looks like I will have to just fill the gap with plastic of some sort. Not sure what my solution will be for that. Also, I was not able to use both DIN plates. I enlargened there holes a bit, so they would alow for more room and play, but there is only room for one of them and the empeg. I chose the passanger side one becusae of the ground plug on it.

Jim, how did you adapt the DIN plates? with both plates in, the space is too narrow for the empeg... Pics coming soon.

So...... I still have a lot of tweeking to do. The front speakers distort because they are hitting the doors. I cut a lot of plastic away and that helped tons. But I fear I may have to cut thinner adapters. Maybe 1/2" or so. I had a bit of alternator whine before I figuerd out I should have the grouned DIN plate in...

Any tips? Like I said, I will post some pics so my rambleing will be more meaninful :)

Brad

PS - thanks again to everyone for there help, esp. Jim!

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com