Hi !

Okay, another comment regarding normalization:
Let us just presume that we all have many songs that are *NOT* normalized, maybe because we got them from someone else, or maybe because we did not use Software that can do normalization when ripping. Whatever reason there might be, but i guess many of us face this problem.

So here is one easy approach to solve the "different volume levels" problem, that naturally goes along with playing such songs on the empeg:

Please empeg programmers do the following:
When playing a song the first time on the empeg, just track down the highest reached amplitude in the song, to get its highest reached volume level.
( Of course the user must play the COMPLETE song, no skipping or aborting )

So in the end you have a number ( let it be -5 db in our example ), please remember this number by storing it in the info file ( where the empeg also finds artist/songname and so on, basically the extracted id3 tag ).

NEXT time the empeg plays the song, it can detect that the highest vol level has already been measured and can simply adjust the internal volume accordingly.

So if the current general volume setting is -20 db and the info for the file says -5 db ten use -20 + 5 = -15 db as the output volume.

VOILA !

So that would mean, whenever i heard a song 1 time, all following accesses to that song will play it normalized.

SIMPLE, isn't it ?!

No hassle, no trouble, not difficult to implement ( give me your player source and 10 minutes ........ aehem and 2 weeks to study the code before, but you do know it, so for you its just that 10 minutes :)

Please do so, or tell me where i am wrong.

Nils