Hmm... I'm totally hypothesizing here but it seems to me that now that the product is EOL, this feature, which has been requested many times, might actually happen. Since automatic crossfading doesn't really exist in other commercial audio products (does it???) it wouldn't be a feature that would sell many Empegs/RioCars. Windows Media, WAV, improved tuner, bookmarking, new shuffle modes are all big features that had commercial/marketing impact, so I think that's why they were worked on first.

So the way I'm thinking, now that the product is EOL, I can see this being worked on as a "background task" if the developers want to sneak something cool in. Obviously for 2.0, WMV and WAV support were priorities, as were improved tuner support, the bookmarking, shuffle modes, etc. What other major features could they need to put in? Okay voice recognition should be a priority. then what? I think this is a good candidate to be one of the first major features to make its way into a post-2.0 build. The theoretical discussion of how it would work has already happened in another thread on this BBS, and I think the developers even chimed in at one point. So let's hope this gets close to the top of the list as the 2.0 baseline stabilizes and the developers look for something new and fun to throw into the player's bag of tricks.

-Tony
MkII #554