Really, Mark, have you tried to port mp3tool to empeg (I suppose it is character mode app). Would it fit? How about Windows/DOS (or Cygwin)? I am asking because my Linux laptop let out its holly smoke and I am for at least a month more stuck with Win98 (which I must keep on the remaining machine for various reasons) and, of course, empeg itself.

Mark was gracious enough to provide me with the source for mp3tool to compile on the empeg..... unfortunately, it compiles without errors.... but doesn't run "well" at all on the empeg. I'm going to take a closer look at it, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to do much with it.... Mark appears to be a heck of a lot better coder than I was... And unfortunately, I'm more of a manager now a days than a tech... :(

Even if it does get to run, I'm still not sure of what it's effect would be.... How would changing the mp3 file without updating the metadata file effect the DB? Plus, if you have ANY sizable mp3's, better count on adding a fair bit of swap.