This evening I came home to a familiar sight, the blinking "ready" light on my DSL modem indicating that it cannot achieve a sync with my central office. I had perfect DSL service (Earthlink through Verizon) for about a year (after a month of anguish at the beginning) and within the last month it's been out more than it's been on. So I called into tech support for the sixth time since this started. Two separate tickets are open, HOURS of time between being on hold and talking to slack-jawed techs...

So I call into tech support tonight and the automated voice says...

"All of our representatives are with other customers.. Your call will be answered in ... one.. hundred... and...... forty... four... minutes."

Yes, that's 144 minutes. As in two hours and 24 minutes. I found it amusing that the computer was programmed to speak numbers that high for hold times. I wonder if someone out there is actually waiting that long.

DSL is such a disaster. If cable was available here I'd be all over it. The only thing worse than DSL service is DSL service through the phone company. And the only thing worse than DSL service through the phone company is DSL service through the company which is then resold by Earthlink. There is no pain worse than realizing the idiot you're talking to can't help you, and the people who can do something about it (the phone company) will hang up on you as soon as they realize you're an Earthlink customer.

I guess I could have stopped at "Earthlink sux0rs" but I've had a lot of fun ranting here. Hope someone else finds this amusing. If not, hey, one for the post count. :)