Doh.. I hate it when I can't tell if someone's serious, sarcastic, or just trying to be humorous... So I'll just be factual to avoid interpreting things wrong.

The empeg of course does have a spectrometer that can tell what frequencies are loud. However with anything other than a single instrument playing, the volumes of those frequencies would be all over the map, and software can't reliably tell what notes are coming from what "instrument." Then the topic of note duration comes into play... How would you deicde what quarter notes, half notes, rests, etc. are when you've got a lot of instruments which are sustaining a frequency at the same volume... All sorts of issues there. If you wanted it to really look like sheet music, you'd need to at least throw some fake eighth notes and rests in there.

The suggestion of a "best guess" at a note to be displayed is a good one... Just pick the loudest average frequency in a given interval and use that as a way to pick a note on the staff. Then when the next interval comes the average will be either higher or lower... That's all good. I was just saying that there's no way to accurately display any "real notes" of anything other than one instrument playing. And besides some audio test tracks, I don't have many MP3's of one single instrument playing.

In any event, it's a really neat idea, but it seems there are issues with how the notes would be chosen and interpreted.