Excellent news!

If it rattles when you shake it, rather than when you power up, it could either be a loose disk sled (the Mk1 shock supports pop off with monotonous regularity) or a loose cable. Either case is good news . The bad news is that on the Mk1, for either of these to happen, there is a good chance that it has had a hard knock. The good news in this case is that the VFD survived since you can get a display image! If you are out of warranty, then you should be able to open it and assess just what's wrong - not much mechanical skill needed here (screwdriver and patience). The bad news is that such an impact *might* have knackered the drive bearings. The good news is that the drives (if they are orignal spec) are rated at some 400g impact shock value, so you might be OK after all.

I would suspect you have something loose; if you can hear the drive spin up and hold speed without horrible coffee-grinder noises then there's a pretty good chance that your disk will have survived. Drop a line to Hugo and ask for advice, I'm sure he'll help.

Let us all know how it turns out - your timely reminder on insurance had me checking things here (NL) too - and I discovered that I have exactly the same problem of it falling between two domains of insurance
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015