I must agree with you. If Apple had designed their Newton PDA from scratch using today's technology, they'd be capable of owning the PDA market.

It's not that simple. PocketPC has been superior to Palm devices in every respect since their launch. Palm still owns the hand-held market.

Not all palm-top devices have yet approached the Newton's "old" technology, let alone if they were to redesign with today's. I had a MessagePad 2000 and I loved it. The only problem really was its size.

I suspect you'll start to see these devices continue to push into the multimedia arena until they become completely portable PC's. The market for such devices is still in its infancy however. Most people are still satisfied with a small addressbook and contact manager that needs to be synced with a main PC.

The latest batch of PocketPC 2002 machines are getting there. I want to see mass-storage in this form factor though. Using internal PC-card drives for example. Again, this type of thing will take off in the next few years given the technology announcements we've had over the past 18 months from companies like IBM, etc.

Bruno