I can second this, when I saw my first WinCE machine the interface was awful, with permanent menus taking up large parts of the screen. They had tried to cram the normal Windows interface onto a PDA, which was a bad idea. Compared to the Psion and Palm interfaces at that time the interface was practically unusable (especially as the interface was too much for the hardware it was running on).

When I used a PocketPC device for a few days the other week I had a real shock, the interface is now vastly more usable, mainly thanks to the fact that it no longer tries slavishly copy the Windows interface.

It is true that the Palm interface has changed little in the last few years, but that is because they got it just about right at the outset, so didn't need to fix it. They could do with adding a few more advanced features to some of the apps though.

My favourite PDA interface is still the Psion 3, which is why I have been buying up spare Psion 3c machines now that Psion have stopped making them. I am still waiting for a better PDA than the Psion 3c to come along...

(I can't even buy up Psion 3mx machines, as the added back light layer makes the screen unreadable without the backlight in most indoor situations)