my ten year old BMW with nice little things like throttle cable and i don't even want to think about how fly by wire brakes work when the fuse blows.

Given the tolerances on this car, plus it's unwillingness to work with anything OUT of spec, I'm not worried too much about the above problem. Without a doubt, this car is complicated. Without a doubt, you have to have a CS major to be fully competent in repairing this car.

Ok.

I don't expect to have the problems you are referring to, simply because the computer IS monitoring everything. When a component starts to go out, It's going to let you know, and you get it fixed. It's not a car that you are going to be able to kludge back together, and that's ok. Hell, you go into the reserve on the gas tank, and this car practically screams at you. You have an alternating display going from the range left on the tank to Visit a fuel center SOON! on the display.

I'd much rather deal with a car that is more solid state than mechanical. Less to break.