Heck Mike,
I have *TWO* of them.

If we'd met up when you were in New Zealand last month you could have borrowed one to play with [and take back to Canada with you for a while]
Both have inbuilt mouse [sort of rubber joystick thingy] support as well [if that would be any use I don't know perhaps you could emulate the left/right up/down buttons using just the mouse].

I must admit I've tested neither with the empeg to see if the IR receiver in the empeg can 'see' the Ir keyboard. I think I'll do that soon and report back.

One of them is from a Websurfer the other a proper PC IR keyboard which is made by Silitek in Taiwan.

The local Pay TV outfit here is about to start a subscriber mail service using their set top boxes and they are indicating that IR keyboard will be available for those who want to buy them.

I may get one and try it out for a IR keyboard - if it works then that may be a cheap supply of Ir keyboards as I would expect the Pay TV company to subsidise the keyboards to get the mail service going. Even if they don't the volume price they get would make it quite attractive - and with our local currency being about 41 cents US it may be quite cheap to supply them to other users on this BBS who need one.
[once of course they are available and its empeg tested that is].