So, I pick up my new Mk2a from Fedex yesterday and wanted to clone my music from my old Mk2 (serial # 32 with a 6 and many zeros before it). The new serial number is actually "lower" than my old unit. Brilliant!

What to do? I ended up installing an ftp server on the old unit and an ftp client on the new one. I installed the ftp server with directions from this post. I installed the ftp client with instructions from this one. (Mostly because I hadn't fooled with debian package manager before, and wanted to get this to work quickly)

Things were going well. I left the mget command go overnight while all the fids came down to the new player. I woke this morning to see segfaults scrolling past me through hyperterminal on the new player. After that, things were never the same.

When I powered down and back up, it complained that it couldn't mount the filesystem. I tried re-applying the Developer 1.03 image. It reflashes, but I got an error that said BAD PUMP in the upgrade tool.

I then tried to load the "builder image". That flash worked too, but it stalls when it says something like, "selecting pump device". Also, when I try to just start the player itself, I get a screen that says No hard disk found, contact support.

Now it seems I can't hyperterminal in either. When I try to load it up, Hyperterminal just closes on me, after the splash screen.

Boy, it would be nice if either the serial numbers weren't so screwed up, or the clone tool would allow you to clone what you wanted to.

I'm not too worried about getting this working again, as I've seen time and time again that there's no real way to "break" it. The thing that sucks is that I don't know that this was a perfectly working player before, as I just got it.

I'll be contacting support, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Chris