Eh... Don't get too excited... Nobody's saying the first incarnation of cross-fading on the Empeg needs to figure out BPM or match beats or anything like that. That's a very advanced feature that even on a PC rarely works well (a lot of human DJ's can't even do it right.) The best beat-finding algorithms on the planet are only going to work with certain types of music with easily identifiable beats... And then I have yet to see any software which even attempts to identify the measures or lead beats which would be matched up... Even on its best day, I think a PC would just be lining up two arbitrary beats up, which wouldn't make for much of a good mix.

Generally, when someone around here says "crossfading" we just mean buffering up the 2nd song with maybe 10 or 15 seconds left in the 1st song and, at an appropriate time (possibly when one track begins to fade on its own, possibly at a user-defined time like 5 seconds from the track's end, etc) the first track will fade out and the second one will to fade in. This part is comparatively easy, and yes, it does require a little more CPU to be decoding a second stream in the background, but there's definitely room for it on the Empeg if it's written correctly. It doesn't have to decode the second stream in real-time, for instance, so the amount of CPU doesn't necessarily need to double.

I'm encouraged that there's semi-official talk about this being available in a future release over in the Programming forum. But I won't be holding my breath, necessarily.