Ok, I have one situation every week where an easy to use remote control will be handy. But I can't easially run another Cat5 cable to where the empeg sits. It does however sit within serial range of my home Linux server. And the planned remote control is an iPaq handheld with an 802.11b wireless card. It will be connecting to a web page containing links to commonly used playlists. Now, I have three ideas on implementing this, and was just wondering what others would thing would be easier.

1. Connect the empeg via PPP to the Linux server. There is currently no PPP software on either machine. Once connected, just use normal HTTP calls to Hijack.

2. Write scripts to send serial commands to the empeg from PHP code running on the server. This is also assuming that I can select what playlists to play via serial (I am pretty sure it can somehow, can't remember for sure).

3. Use emptool somehow instead of sending the raw commands in idea #2.

Keep in mind the iPaq is just being used to say "Play playlist Blah 1" or "Change the volume". So something like VNC is not needed, since seeing the screen is not a requirement.

Thanks