It can automatically eliminate leading or trailing silence, such that the net contents of the track remain. MP3Trim is freeware and quite small (only 181k).

Yup, I used to use MP3Trim as the tool to help me remove the gaps between my MP3 files.

There's only one problem with it:

If you're trying to de-gap a seamless album (i.e. Pink Floyd), the artificial silence doesn't land exactly on a frame boundary. As a result, you must perform some trial and error trimming of the songs on both "ends" of the gap. Doing this in MP3Trim is very tedious because it only opens one song at a time.

That's why I broke down and wrote my own gap-editing utility. I've carefully de-gapped all my Pink Floyd albums and live concert albums with it. I actually consulted the author of MP3Trim to help me write it (I credit him in the Readme.txt). The utility is very preliminary, and it's not even written in a real language (it's in VB3), but it worked enough for all my albums.

That's why I started this thread in the first place. I went to all this trouble to de-gap my MP3's, and then I got the Empeg player and discovered that it didn't do gapless playback. I can't win.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.