Thieves smashed out my passenger window approx 1 month after I installed the Empeg in my car. My wife's car (which has a removable faceplate that she takes with her) was broken into by them, as well.

I have a Sony in-dash CD-player with removable faceplate for a head unit, in addition to my Empeg. I have a camera bag (pelican case coming soon) for both the Empeg and the faceplate and I am religious about removing them from the car.

The night it happend I heard the glass break, called the cops, provided their vehicle's license plate number, and three weeks later the morons were nailed. I watched them fish around in my car. They searched the glove compartment for anything of value (presumably a radar detector or a removable faceplate) and found nothing; they had started to tinker with the dash when they noticed me watching them and bolted. Had I not been there watching them I'd have lost the Sony. I know this because my wife was not so lucky. She's got a faceplate with no stereo for it. Like Tony, they took hers -- sans faceplate.

I'm glad the unit comes out of the car. The cops were amazed -- they said that most people who have pull-out units or removable faceplates don't bother to remove them from the vehicle -- and the stereo gets stolen. Dumb move if you live in the city... And a solid confirmation (it came from a law enforcement officer) of what Tony is saying...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca