I don't know if you caught it, but the 200-odd-byte limitation of the field is so that the database takes less space in memory.

Part of what makes this player better than other players is its incredibly fast indexing of tracks. There's no waiting between tracks, and very little waiting when you make major changes to the playlist (such as reshuffling, tweaking, or inserting other playlists). The reason it can do all of this is because of its fast database handling. So the comment-field limitation is an absolute necessity and cannot be changed.

For most people (in fact, just about everyone else besides you), the lack of support for long, complex tags isn't a big deal. Also keep in mind that, despite there being fields for all of this stuff in the V2 spec, hardly any piece of software ever populates those fields (in fact, I don't think I've ever seen a ripper which did). The only people with those fields filled out are those who enter the data themselves by hand, and I'm sure those people are very rare. If you're hand-entering customized data that no one else enters, I don't see why the player should have to support it.

And as far as the Allmusic.com reviews in the comment fields, I have this to say:

- Only one piece of software fills out the tags that way, and only in its most recent version.
- Allmusic.com's reviews are bunk anyway and should be avoided.