A "DVD" doesn't require Macrovision (which I'm sure you know). There are many things that are lumped to create the DVD experience. It is up to the producer of any given disc to outfit their product with Macrovision. However... A DVD playback device must support Macrovision to be a legal product (with legal keys). If a disc is protected, it is not allowed to circumvent or disable that protection. In the case of Macrovision, I believe the point is that it has a limitation of 480p. Allowing an HD signal would disable the Macrovision protection by its nature. Anyway, tha analogy of DVD to MP3 isn't quite an apples to apples example. There are enough differences to make the comparison rather pointless.

With regards to LAME violating the Fraunhoffer patent, I'd have to read it to be able to tell you, so I'd have to take your word for it. Depending on their patent, other encoders could also be covered. Someone could have patented the entire concept and screwed everyone long ago.

Anyway, this patent finger-pointing still doesn't do anything to further the cause of Vorbis support. As I said, it's worth paying a licence if it's what your customers want. Advertising "MP3" will sell products. Advertising "Ogg Vorbis" will occupy shelf space.

Bruno