I totally, respectfully, disagree with you Mark. I've used Hijack for a while, and, honestly, the vertical scrolling of your menu annoys me, not because vertical scrolling is inferior, but because it violates the UI design on the rest of the player. I have to think about which way to rotate the knob or which button to press. If the rest of the player UI was designed vertically, then I wouldn't have that problem.

Now expand that to the rest of the player. You could have everything as it is now, except make the playlists scroll vertically. Then one (at least I) would have the same problem as described above. Or you could have everything scroll vertically, menus as well as playlists, in order to have a consistent UI. This would seem to work okay on the surface, but how would you implement depth? Remove the old menu from the screen altogether? That seems wrong. Have the new menus overlap the old menus? This reduces the display width significantly, which is already at a premium. The only idea I can come up with is to pop up the new menu and scroll it back to obscure the old menu or push it off the screen. But that would take a lot of time, and people already complain about the slowness of the UI; at least the slowness of the scrolling.

But if you can develop a UI that works as well as the current one, I'd be impressed and stand corrected. But I don't think you can do it.