I'm posting this so that anyone else who experiences it doesn't wonder if they are alone. I should note that, despite the problem at hand, I'm extremely satisfied with Empeg's handling of the situation and already looking forward to upgrading to the latest unit sometime next year.

Observation:
Unit display simply shut off, player continued to function. Flashing power LED flashed while unit was in use, indicating unit was "off" when, in fact, unit was actually "on". Unit was in car at time of failure. Failure occurred when switching vehicle ignition from "accessory" position to "on" position.

Troubleshooting:
Unit behaved identially when connected to AC power as it did in car. (i.e. Power LED flashed, display was absent, unit continued to play tunes.) Loaded latest beta consumer release (8c); No status change. Emailed detailed description of circumstances, environment, and actions during time of failure (and beta code load) to Empeg support, which was highly responsive; Empeg reported it's happened to a few players and suspects an internal fuse is blown. Aparently people have inadvertently connected the orange sled wire to the accessory line of their vehicles rather than to the amp remote line -- which will blow an internal fuse. (I don't know if there's more than one...) Checked all sled wiring at Empeg's suggestion to insure correct wiring scheme; wiring OK (in my case I don't even use said orange wire).

Resolution:
1 business day later Empeg scheduled a pickup for the unit. A larger fuse will be installed (if the fuse is the issue) to account for possible surges. Empeg is handling shipping costs and all shipping is single-day air.

Comments:
A day before the display failure I had inquired about purchasing green/amber display lenses for aesthetic reasons; Empeg has gone above and beyond the call of duty and offered to do a gratis lens replacement for my trouble. (Thanks!)

This happened late December 28. Empeg was notified December 29, pickup is today, December 30. i.e. It's in the midst of the holidays and Empeg has still been amazingly responsive. Colour me content...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand..."