I'd much rather have an Empeg playing through a fantastic-sounding system than an Empeg and a CD-player playing through a so-so sounding system.

Oscar -- listen to Tony on this one! You don't have to have an expensive, elaborate system to have excellent sound qualitty -- but there are certain minimum requirements. A good amplifier is one -- and good doesn't have to mean powerful, but it does have to mean high quality with lack of distortion and frequency response good enough to be equal to your head unit and your speakers. Also, if there is any way you can do it, install at least a single 10" subwoofer. Don't think that subwoofers are only to make your car go "Thump Thump Thump" so people two blocks away can hear it. You will pick up much richness of sound from the additional low-frequency response, and your overall enjoyment of the system will be enhanced.

The empeg does have a tuner option - I don't remember if the external tuner is both AM/FM or just FM, someone refresh my memory - so the only thing you would lack is the ability to play a CD without first converting it to MP3. For that occasional need, could you maybe keep a portable CD player in your glove box or under your seat, and play it into the empeg's auxiliary input?

From my own personal experience, sound quality (of which I have some knowledge ;-) is much more important than what equipment you use or how you hook it up. IMHO, the ultimate goal of any stereo installation is to get the maximum sound quality from whatever budget you have set.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"