Hi Michael,

You _could_ install the Empeg behind the facia part of the dash, but from what I have experianced, you would have to make some permanant modifications to either the sled, the Empeg itself, or both.

The path of least resistance is to modify the sled to slide back further in the radio cage assembly, and make the empeg facia sit flush with the other componants. You actually cannot make the empeg sit flush with everything else, because the lip will prevent the dash facia from fully seating down around the stock stereo. This means that your Empeg will be in a "hole" about 1 inch deep between your stereo and storage compartments. In order to do this, you would have to remove the little "lip" around the edge of your sled in order to make it fit. You can see from my photo here that the lip of my sled protrudes over the stereo and the storage compartment. You'd have to cut this off in order to slide it back further. Also, I think you'd have to do some fancy modifications to the car stereo sled (as it is, you'll have to bend it a bit) to make the empeg fit between the stereos because it will be a bit too tall.

The second thing you could do is modify the Empeg to act like a standard DIN stereo. I considered this at first, but decided the modifications are too permanant. I figured if you could remove the handle, and shape the Empeg facia to match, you could get a DIN-shaped Empeg that would be a little shorter and thinner. The only problem with this is you have to cut your facia, and also you would have to remove the handle support bars that are on the Empeg frame itself (cut the metal off).

Here you would still have to modify your sled lip, too.

After considering these options and making a call to my dealership, which looked up the price of the facia with the cup holder and everything (it's only $100) I decided to cut my facia instead. I have not regretted my decision, and I have to tell you that I am a pretty big stickler for neatness and elegance. It was by far the most elegant solution to my problem and it provides me the full functionality of a pull-out stereo.

Good luck! Post installation pictures after you are finished!